Feel free to skip by if you aren't interested in my blatant bragging ;-)
It has always been really important to me that both Chloe and Ryan be competent swimmers as they get older. I haven't always been a good swimmer and in fact I am still probably not the greatest but having joined a swim squad a couple of years ago I have become a lot better.
Anyway, given that we have a holiday house by the beach, often go to the pool, dream about owning a boat and go on holidays often there has never been any debate...our children will always be in swimming lessons, they will learn how to swim. Chloe began when she was six months old as did Ryan. We began at Oceanic Water babies (OWB) (where Ryan still continues) and found their philosophy and teaching wonderful. They are a very nurturing school, they teach us to teach our children, if that makes sense. Children can stay in OWB until they are five. Fortunately both Chloe and Ryan LOVE swimming and as you all know, if you enjoy something then it's no longer a chore but something that you get fun out of.
Chloe turned five in January and therefore we were on the lookout for a swimming school that would continue what we had learnt at OWB. We wanted somewhere that Chloe would continue to LEARN how to swim, I can't stand classes that are too 'sing songy', as I said swimming for us is just something they have to learn it's not a fun extra curricular activity, although it's great tat Chloe and Ryan do indeed have lots of fun in the pool. We asked around and luckily found that there was a very good swimming school that a lot of the girls from Chloe's school attend, it's actually run through Ryan's future school (www.watkinssouthsideswimming.com.au). They follow the Royal lifesaving swim and survive accreditation system. Basically we have just finished two weeks of vacation swimming where Chloe was in Stage 3, at the conclusion of those two weeks we found out that Chloe had passed that stage and is now in Stage four! So....to round this up, here is a list of what Chloe is now competent at in the pool. We will continue to swim twice a week (outdoors with watkins) during terms 1 and 4 and once a week (indoors) during the colder terms 2 & 3.
It has always been really important to me that both Chloe and Ryan be competent swimmers as they get older. I haven't always been a good swimmer and in fact I am still probably not the greatest but having joined a swim squad a couple of years ago I have become a lot better.
Anyway, given that we have a holiday house by the beach, often go to the pool, dream about owning a boat and go on holidays often there has never been any debate...our children will always be in swimming lessons, they will learn how to swim. Chloe began when she was six months old as did Ryan. We began at Oceanic Water babies (OWB) (where Ryan still continues) and found their philosophy and teaching wonderful. They are a very nurturing school, they teach us to teach our children, if that makes sense. Children can stay in OWB until they are five. Fortunately both Chloe and Ryan LOVE swimming and as you all know, if you enjoy something then it's no longer a chore but something that you get fun out of.
Chloe turned five in January and therefore we were on the lookout for a swimming school that would continue what we had learnt at OWB. We wanted somewhere that Chloe would continue to LEARN how to swim, I can't stand classes that are too 'sing songy', as I said swimming for us is just something they have to learn it's not a fun extra curricular activity, although it's great tat Chloe and Ryan do indeed have lots of fun in the pool. We asked around and luckily found that there was a very good swimming school that a lot of the girls from Chloe's school attend, it's actually run through Ryan's future school (www.watkinssouthsideswimming.com.au). They follow the Royal lifesaving swim and survive accreditation system. Basically we have just finished two weeks of vacation swimming where Chloe was in Stage 3, at the conclusion of those two weeks we found out that Chloe had passed that stage and is now in Stage four! So....to round this up, here is a list of what Chloe is now competent at in the pool. We will continue to swim twice a week (outdoors with watkins) during terms 1 and 4 and once a week (indoors) during the colder terms 2 & 3.
-Freestyle swim 15m, regular breathing
-Glide backwards and kick for at least 5m
-Breaststroke leg action (on back with board for 5m)
-Demonstrate survival sculling (on back)
-Demonstrate forward roll
-Water safety sequence (Glide and swim 10m, recover upright position. Support body in an upright position and signal distress).
-Backstroke swim (10m+)
-Breaststroke swim)
-Recover an object (chest deep - minimum).
If you got this far, you will be fairly aware that to say I am proud is an understatement!
Will be back on Monday with some 'first day of school photos'

4 comments:
That's seriously incredible Sal! What a superfish!
Interesting little graph of your visitors on the side there, I might add ;) *taps nose*
I know! It's nice to see that people are still interested in our lives Jodie, but it would be so much nicer if they actually left a comment occationally :(. Is Milly exicited about her second week of school, fingers crossed it cools down a little for her so she can check out the playing eequiptment.
Go Chloe! That's fantastic Sal. I'd be incredibly proud too.
I'll be standing by for first day of school photos. Don't keep me waiting as long as Jodie did, will you?
Oh Shan, I'm hopeless, I will probably be a lot longer then Jodes...will try my best though!
Post a Comment